154 PBOPBI1T0BY BIGHTS IK THE CUT* of the city that are known by a Persian name* They continued to be regard- ed as the zamindars of the township till ttte time of the J&te, when Saiyid Bakir, their then head, quarrelled with the local governor, and being afraid of the consequences made over all his rights to- some Chaubes and others* When the English. Government took possession^ the Chaubes-' title was alone recognized and the first settlement was made- with one of their number, Shio Lai, as mukaddam. A claim was brought forward by Imam Bakhsh, a son of the Saiyid abovenameds but he died before it eo.ujd be heard, and the suit thus falling through has never since been revived. In 1812, the then Chaube land- holders, Bishnaj Ajita, Shio Lffl, GMsa and Jw&la, styling themselves mukad- dams, made over their rights to the l£la Bab a, who- engaged to pay them Bs. 150 a year and 5 per cent on his collections. The area so transferred, according to the settlement of 1841, was only 568 biglias 11 biswas ; but in the revision of records the Lala B&bu's widow had herself entered as owner of every rood of land, excepting only such as was or had been rent-free, and the agreement was with her as sole z&mindar of the township of M^hura. On the strength of this she claimed to exercise over the whole city the same rights that a zamindar can claim in any petty village; but, after oft-renewed litigation, these extravagant claims have been set aside, and by the new settlement the property of her heirs is shown as a separate thok, the muafi and resumed mnfifi grants forming another, while the Janmn& sands, used for melon cultiva* iaon, all naziil lands and the streets, and city generally are shown as Govern- ment property.'* From the mosque as a central point diverge the main thoroughfares, lead- Ing respectively towards Braids-ban, Dig, Bharat-pur,t and the civil station, They are somewhat broader than is usual ia Indian- cities, having an average "breadth of 24 feet, a»d were fast opened out at the instance of Mr, E. F. Taylor in 1843. A number of houses were demolished for the puirpose, but, ra every iHstance, aE cMm to compensation was- waived. Seth TAHirm Chanel's loss, -Qma voluntarily sustained for the public good, was estimated at a lakh of rupees* as h© had recently completed some handsome premises, which had to be taken dowB aad rebuilt. * Vide n wpor t QA tte Pfopieto!7 liglitt eMm&l "sj the beins ol the L&Js B4bn» up by Mr. Wtetewy, Setllemea* Offlca, in 1875. f Close to the nosqae oa the left-baod side ol tlis Blia?at-pur gate bazi; is i. Mgh Mil with Toy stefcp aacent. all boilt or«. On the summit, wMch is called SiUli ghl^ ma^1 beaeea f sagmeatE 0! BiodMsl piUait® and t^s-reiiei% &ad m armless seated igore, the s4ae of life.